Thursday, July 7, 2011

From Traditional to Digital

I took a six week Drawing 1 class at the Louis and Clark Community College and tried applying some of what I learned on this picture done in Photoshop CS5. It was exciting because was aware of drawing elements such as line quality, perspective, and lighting. My favorite thing to do when I look at a drawing is squint my eyes to see if the lighting creates the illusion of depth—gradients between light and dark colors communicate the separate planes of a form. A "form" is a three dimensional object whereas a shape is only two dimensional according to my professor, Chris Brennan, who was an awesome teacher/painter and left-handed which seems to be an advantage for creative folk.

I tried to give this body form with lighting but I didn't push the contrast far enough and it came out pretty flat. I spent about an hour doodling with the Photoshop brushes and was amazed at the unlimited variety. The key to using any sort of high end software like Photoshop is to know or at least have an idea for what you want accomplish. Programs like Photoshop are tools and will not make you a better artist, they are simply medium for expression. I have fallen into the trap many times believing that if I learn to use a high end program like Photoshop or After Effects or Maya, I will automatically be a better artist. This is not the case. That is why I took the drawing class because if you can draw well traditionally then those skills transfer over digitally. The challenge at this point is to overcome the Photoshop learning curve. Oh, and get better at drawing lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment