Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Putting feelings into a drawing

I was sick this morning because I ate too much chocolate yesterday. Drawing did not make me feel any better. I felt nauseated, and my drawings sucked. I tried desperately to convey what I was feeling, but to no avail. I was being too academic and worried too much about representation. As I grew more desperate with my lines it felt like I was trying to wrench this thing off my chest. "Get these drawings to feel!" I screamed to myself. Then I did something funny, I caricatured. Something clicked inside my head that told me to make everything I draw push the ideas. I drew shapes to express, not represent. I bulged the eyes, stretched the nose, neck, and tongue. I kept the silhouette uninterrupted and my drawings exploded!


I've heard many an artist say they are never pleased with their work, but I feel exceeding pleasure in the fact that I was able to get these images out of me. I guess you can say they're honest.







No comments:

Post a Comment