Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Shape of Destiny


At long last I have reached my decision concerning the dilemma that has weighed heavily on my mind since being accepted into Sheridan’s animation program:

“I want a job as a storyboard artist. Should I pursue a degree in animation at Sheridan College or stay in Los Angeles and build a storyboard portfolio?”

I asked everyone and their dog for their opinion regarding my situation. Ultimately, everybody gave me the same response:

“It’s your decision”—(*the theme of my life for the past two months)

Reflecting on that phrase launched me on a journey to Los Angeles in search for the answer. I presented the question to Tron, a DreamWorks storyboard artist. Tron reviewed my drawing portfolio and told me, “You have potential. You have a strong foundational understanding of drawing. Now you need to put in the hours. It takes 10, 000 hours to master a craft. You do not need to go to Sheridan as a full time student; however, you should continue taking classes.” Tron recommended taking individual classes at the Concept Design Academy where you can learn from working artists and network with others.

So here's what I have decided to do—I will live in LA and do three things: (1) writes script for short films and board them, (2) take classes to improve my draftsmanship, and (3) network with artists.

If all goes according to plan, I'll get hired by an animation studio in the next three months. If things don’t that way, I'll work at Starbucks, but don’t plan on that! Farewell Sheridan and hello LA!

Here's what my life looks like from here on out.
 

5 comments:

  1. Sam, I love you and I hope everything works out for you. Maybe once you get thing settled I could come visit because I miss you like crazy. Good luck, I just want you to know, we're all counting on you.

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! You're welcome to visit me anytime, and I can accommodate you. I won't let you down!

      Delete
  2. Best of luck to you Sam! It's motivating to see how you've persevered in your goal in such a tough time and I know you'll have a blast in this journey of self-discovery! Waiting to hear some good news from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yon! You're a great ally and also a inspirational figure!

      Delete
  3. Hey Sam! I was going through my blog and saw some of your comments, so I thought I'd drop by and say hello, also that your life seems to be taking an exciting track - wish you all the best in LA and praying for you! You're going to make it big :D

    ReplyDelete